I'm so behind on posting things to this blog!
I made these cuppycakes back in October, after a friend of mine found the recipe for me on Food Network. They were yummy, but I think they could have been more coffee-y. I think this is because I used instant coffee. Next time, I will use espresso powder.
Chocolate Cuppycakes with Coffee Cream Filling
For the cupcakes:
* 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
* 2 cups sugar
* 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
* 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
* 1 teaspoon baking powder
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1 cup vegetable oil
* 1 cup strong brewed coffee, cooled (I recommend instant espresso powder dissolved in boiling water)
* 3 large eggs
* 1 (8-ounce) container sour cream
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
* Chocolate covered coffee beans, for garnish, optional (I didn't use these)
For the coffee cream filling:
* 1 (3-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
* 1/4 cup coffee-flavored liqueur
* 1 (8-ounce) container frozen chocolate flavored whipped topping, thawed
To make the cupcakes:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line muffin pans with paper liners and set aside.
In a large bowl, whisk flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Add oil, coffee, and eggs. Beat at medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth. Mix in the sour cream and vanilla.
Spoon the batter evenly into prepared muffin cups, filling each 2/3 full. Bake until a tester inserted in center comes out clean, for 16 to 18 minutes. Let them cool in pans on wire racks for 5 minutes. Remove from the pans and cool completely on wire racks.
To make the coffee cream filling:
In a small bowl, whip the cream cheese at medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth. Slowly add the liqueur and fold in the whipped topping. Cover and chill.
I filled the cupcakes using the cone method. The original recipe suggests using a squeeze bottle to "inject" it into the cupcake.
Coffee Buttercream Frosting
* 1/2 cup butter, softened
* 3 cups confectioners' sugar
* 1/4 cup strong brewed coffee (as above, I recommend espresso powder dissolved in boiling water)
In a medium bowl, beat the butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Gradually add the confectioners' sugar, beating until smooth, then beat in the coffee.
Spread the Coffee Buttercream frosting evenly over cooled cupcakes and garnish with chocolate covered coffee beans, if desired.